Remains of QC road rage victim buried; arrest warrant not yet issued vs suspected killer
The online news portal of TV5
(UPDATED - 1:22 p.m.) MANILA, Philippines - The remains of 27-year-old IT professional Anthony Mendoza was buried on Sunday, March 5, but his alleged killer remains at large eight days since the apparent road rage incident took place in Quezon City on February 25.
According to authorities, the 46-year-old Fredrison "Son Son" Atienza was spotted in Boracay after he reportedly left Manila for Caticlan a day after he allegedly shot Mendoza in the head during a traffic altercation at the corner of D. Tuazon Street and Quezon Avenue in Brgy. Dona Josefa.
Police Senior Inspector Jess Baylon of the Boracay Tourist Action Center was quoted in news reports as saying that authorities had obtained pictures of Atienza showing that he stayed at three hotels on the island but establishment owners reportedly refused to give to police copies of their guest lists and CCTV footage.
A warrant of arrest has not yet been issued against Atienza as of Sunday, according to Quezon City Police District director Chief Supt. Guillermo Eleazar. Thus, Atienza can only be monitored and not yet apprehended.
Eleazar said on Sunday that based on monitoring done by authorities, Atienza had already went back to Manila from Boracay.
During Mendoza's burial, his family members said the killer did not only end the life of Mendoza but also his dreams, including spending his life and having a family with his girlfriend. The couple was supposed to get married soon when the killing happened.
In her Facebook page, Anthony's mother, Ester Bustamante Mendoza, urged Atienza to surrender, saying the latter's enemy is his conscience.
In earlier FB posts, Mrs. Mendoza protested that Atienza was still able to enjoy in Boracay and pose on Instagram after the killing. She reiterated her plea to President Rodrigo Duterte to help solve the crime and seek justice for Anthony.