TODAY'S HEADLINES

Philippines, China to hold direct talks on sea row: DFA 29-Mar-17, 4:23 PM | Agence France-Presse

As NPA turns 48, CPP bares new, younger leadership 29-Mar-17, 8:01 AM | InterAksyon.com

'MYTH?' | Young ‘palit ulo’ victim laid to rest in Navotas 29-Mar-17, 2:16 PM | Bernard Testa, InterAksyon.com (text and photos)

US praises China over fentanyl fight 28-Mar-17, 9:16 PM | Agence France-Press

Trump signs order dismantling Obama-era climate policies 29-Mar-17, 6:03 AM | Valerie Volcovici and Jeff Mason, Reuters

World | National

Philippine fishermen decry Duterte's disputed shoal ban

Reuters file photo of Presidents Duterte and Xi Jinping shaking hands during Duterte's recent trip to Beijing.

InterAksyon.com
The online news portal of TV5

MANILA - Philippine fishermen on Wednesday criticized President Rodrigo Duterte's decision to ban them from a rich South China Sea fishing ground, part of his efforts to ease tensions over disputed waters controlled by China.

Duterte's aides said he had made a "unilateral" declaration to make the lagoon at Scarborough Shoal a protected marine sanctuary, after raising the issue during a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of a regional summit in Peru last weekend.

It was not clear whether Xi supported the plan.

The two neighbors both claim the shoal as part of their territory. But China took control of the ring of reefs just 230 kilometers (140 miles) from the main Philippine island of Luzon in 2012 after a standoff with the Philippine navy.

"We fear that declaring it as a marine sanctuary would pave way for another fishing blockade," Fernando Hicap, chairman of fishermen support group Pamalakaya, said in a statement. 

"This time it will be our own law and government that will prohibit (Filipino fishermen), not China," he added.

After taking control of the shoal in 2012, China banned Filipino fishermen from operating there. The ban was eased last month after Duterte visited Beijing to mend ties, with the Filipinos allowed to fish outside the lagoon.

A spokesperson for Duterte told AFP on Wednesday his office would soon release an executive order on the new "no-fishing zone" for both Filipinos and Chinese fishermen. 

"This would be subject to friendly negotiations so we won't create friction with other claimants," said Ana Marie Banaag, presidential communications assistant secretary. 

Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang on Tuesday had no comment on Duterte's declaration but said Beijing had made "proper arrangements for fishing activities".

However, Filipino fishermen told AFP the Duterte plan would hurt their livelihood.

"We are against that because it is inside the lagoon where there is more catch," said Charlito Maniago, village captain in Infanta, one of the main Scarborough Shoal fishing towns on Luzon.   

Duterte move favors China: expert

Maritime law expert Jay Batongbacal said Duterte's declaration favored China since the Philippines could further lose access to the shoal. 

"China could just as easily accept the Philippine move and not act in return, because they derive the benefit anyway," Batongbacal said in a statement.

Following a case brought by Duterte's predecessor Benigno Aquino three years ago, a UN-backed international tribunal in July declared the shoal a common fishing ground for surrounding nations.

It also ruled that China's claim to most of the South China Sea was without legal basis, in a resounding legal victory for the Philippines.

But Duterte, 71, pivoted his country's diplomacy away from traditional ally the United States and towards China.

Soon after his ice-breaking trip to Beijing, Chinese vessels stationed at Scarborough allowed Filipino fishermen to fish outside the lagoon.

advertisement
OTHER WORLD STORIES
OTHER NATIONAL STORIES
BREAKING NEWS