Speaker: Law postponing brgy polls can be passed especially with Du30 backing 27-Mar-17, 10:20 AM | Lira Dalangin-Fernandez,

WATCH | Bully QC cop sacked for manhandling motorist 27-Mar-17, 11:15 PM | Romel Lopez, News5

Rody appointing barangay execs violates Constitution - election law expert 27-Mar-17, 7:08 PM | JV Arcena, News5 | With a report by Dale de Vera

WATCH | Rody's dinner invitation to Leni sincere, not a 'trap' - Panelo 27-Mar-17, 11:51 PM | Dale de Vera, News5 |


WATCH | Quezon City traffic enforcer’s killer caught in hotel in Aparri

NCRPO Director Chief Superintendent Oscar Albayalde (left) and QCPD Director Senior Supt. Guillermo Eleazar and other police officials pacify the widow of traffic enforcer Ernesto Paras as she confronts suspect Geronimo Iquin (2nd from right) for shooting to death her husband on La Salle Street in Quezon City on Sept. 30, 2016. (Philippines News Agency/Avito C.Dalan)
The online news portal of TV5

MANILA, Philippines - The hot pursuit operations for the suspect in the killing of a traffic enforcer following an altercation in Quezon City on Friday last week ended with the arrest of the suspect in a hotel in Aparri, Cagayan Tuesday night.

The suspect, identified as Geronimo Iquin, shot traffic enforcer Ernesto Paras Jr. on La Salle Street in Barangay Silangan and even ran over the victim as he fled the scene of the crime in a black car that was later found abandoned in Antipolo City Saturday.

Paras had confiscated the car’s license plate for double parking along La Salle Street.

The suspect was identified after the car’s owner surfaced and helped the police in the investigation.

It was learned that the car that Iquin drove was not his but was owned by the brother of a policeman. Iquin was only asked to repair the car since he is a mechanic.

The manhunt for Iquin took the police officers from San Miguel, Bulacan; Nueva Ecija; Nueva Viscya; Isabela and all the way to Cagayan Valley. 

Iquin was arrested at 11:45 p.m. Tuesday at Dream Land Hotel in Barangay Macanaya in Aparri by the QCPD Police Station 7 and CIDU operatives in coordination with the Aparri police officers.

Iquin claimed that Paras tried to extort money from him and even pointed a fan knife at him. The gun that Iquin used in shooting Paras was never recovered as the suspect had already thrown the gun into a river.

It was learned that Iquin had a standing warrant of arrest for estafa.

During Iquin’s presentation to the media in Camp Crame, the victim’s widow and relatives vented their ire at the suspect.

From Camp Crame, Iquin was brought to the Quezon City Police District for the filing of murder charges.

Watch this News5 video report by France Noguera: